Archiving old Emails
This document describes the process of archiving old emails and how to export and import them as a .pst file to save in your current Microsoft Outlook account.
If you are using a Mac, please contact the HelpDesk to assist with this task.
To export a .pst file
- Open Outlook, then, Click File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- When the Import and Export Wizard pops up, select Export to a file, and then click Next.
- Then select Outlook Data File (.pst) in the Export to a File dialog, and click Next.
- Select a folder that you want to export as a .pst file, and click Next.
- Select a location to save the .pst file, then click Finish. You can add a password to protect the file, or leave the fields blank by clicking OK.
To import a .pst file
- Open Outlook, then, Click File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data File.
- Use File Explorer to navigate to the location where you exported your .pst file, then click Open.
- Your .pst file will appear in Outlook as a new mailbox. You can browse your archived emails.
- You can either keep the file open in Outlook, or you can copy the file into a folder in your email, whichever you prefer.
- If you would like to close the Outlook Data File, right-click on it and select Close Outlook Data File.
Need more help?
Contact the IT HelpDesk if you have any issues with the instructions.