Accessing Office 365 E-mail
The preferred methods for connecting to Office 365 are the Outlook Web Application with a web browser and the Microsoft Outlook clients for Windows and OS X. These methods deliver the best level of functionality with the Office 365 services.
Note: UW-Shared Services IT does not provide support for accessing email on personal devices. This includes phones, personal computers, tablets, and anything else not issued by UW-Shared Services IT.
UW-Madison researched client functionality extensively and published a detailed ‘grid’ of client compatibility and functionality. Find that document here, in the DoIT Knowledgebase (link opens in new tab).
You can connect to Office 365 from any internet connected computer.
- Open your preferred browser and go to outlook.office365.com.
- Login in using your full e-mail UWSS or UWSA address as your username.
- Email address or Username: your UWSA or UWSS email, ex: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: your password
- Incoming mail server: outlook.office365.com
IMAP EMAIL CLIENTS
- Incoming mail server port: 587
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.office365.com
- Incoming (IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) security type: one of the following
- TLS (STARTTLS)
CONFIGURING POPULAR MOBILE EMAIL APPLICATIONS
The Exchange server is outlook.office365.com.